Hrvatska znanstvena Sekcija img
3 gif
 O projektu
4 gif
Pregledavanje radova
Jednostavno pretraživanje
Napredno pretraživanje
Skupni podaci
Upis novih radova
Ispravci prijavljenih radova
Ostale bibliografije
Slični projekti
 Bibliografske baze podataka

Pregled bibliografske jedinice broj: 592655


Autori: Zajec, Vlasta; Repanić-Braun, Mirjana
Naslov: Franciscan Church of St. John the Baptist
Izvornik: Discover Baroque Art, Museum with No Frontiers
Vrsta: Virtualni muzej, katalog
Godina: 2010
Ključne riječi: Baroque; 17th Century; 18th Century; architecture; sculpture; stucco; Varaždin; Peter Rabba; Kristofor Zettl; Franjo Kristof Reiss; Ivan Adam Rosemberger; Joseph Antonio Quadrio; Ivan Krstitelj Ranger
Peter Rabba of Graz built the Early Baroque Church of St. John the Baptist on the foundations of an older church, on the site of the Franciscan Monastery in Varaždin, reconstructed in 1626. In the harmonious Early Baroque space of the Church of St. John the Baptist there are a number of valuable woodcarvings illustrating important phases of the art form in northern Croatia during the Baroque period. The pulpit (1675) – a long and richly articulated item with statues of Christ and the apostles in niches – is a consummate example of Late Mannerist wood carving and one of only a few preserved monumentally founded 17th-century pulpits in Croatia. The monumental three-part altar (1700–1702), built according to the designs of the Franciscan, Kristofor Zettl of Munich, fills the chancel completely. The skilled perspective foreshortening of the niches, concluded by coffered vaulting, complement the spaciousness of the altar architecture. The sculptures are by the Maribor sculptor, Franjo Kristof Reiss. In the side-chapels there are five altars built during the 1740s, which by stylistic analysis, are attributable to Ivan Adam Rosemberger, Varaždin's principal sculptor at the time. The sculpture of the altars of St. Anthony of Padua (1725) and Our Lady of the Scapular (1735–1745), on the other hand, show a kinship with the work of Ivan Matija Leitner, a sculptor from Bavaria who had a workshop in Graz. The aforementioned altars are found within two chapels decorated by the Styrian stucco master, Joseph Antonio Quadrio. The Paulist painter, Ivan Krstitelj Ranger decorated the monastery apothecary in 1750 – the central scene of this work shows Mary as Queen of the Universe surrounded by allegorical depictions of the Four Continents and Four Elements.
Projekt / tema: 020-0202685-2700
Izvorni jezik: ENG
Znanstvena područja:
Povijest umjetnosti
URL Internet adrese:;BAR;hr;Mon11;28;en
Upisao u CROSBI: (, 12. Ruj. 2012. u 13:09 sati

Verzija za printanje   za tiskati